Hippocampus Magazine and Books
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
NOTE: If you're not already on our mailing list, please consider subscribing so that you'll always be up to date on submissions announcements including open reading periods, special calls, etc.
What we publish in Hippocampus Magazine
During our submission periods –March 1 through May 31 AND Oct. 15 through Jan. 15 – we accept the following:
- Personal Essays & Memoir Excerpts, max 4,000 words.
- Flash Creative Nonfiction, max 800 words.
Reviews, interviews, craft articles, and writing life articles by invitation.
What are we looking for in submissions?
True tales from your life. Honesty that possesses both the situation AND the story. Intensely personal experiences that reflect universal truths about what it means to be human. Firsthand accounts from the full spectrum of humanity – folx from the LGBTQIA+ community, Black writers, Indigenous writers, and writers of Color, disabled writers, writers of all genders, backgrounds, experiences, lifestyles, and identities.
What we publish elsewhere:
- Memoirs, Essay Collections, Craft Books: View our Books by Hippocampus manuscript submission guidelines.
- Anthologies: Open anthology calls are also listed at our Books by Hippocampus submissions page.
Dates & Deadlines
- We're open for magazine submissions twice per year: March 1 through May 31 AND Oct. 15 through Jan. 15. (Please note the change in dates for our fall 2022 reading period; we've pushed back our start date in order to reorganize our reading teams and get caught up. We'll still be open for three months, extending into January of 2023.)
- We're on hiatus from for book queries through Aug. 1, 2023.