NOTE: If you're not already on our mailing list, please consider subscribing so that you'll always be up to date on submissions announcements including open reading periods, special calls, etc.
What we publish in Hippocampus Magazine
During our submission period – March through December – we accept the following:
- Memoir Excerpts, max 4,000 words. Submit here.
- Personal Essays, max 4,000 words. Submit here.
- Flash Creative Nonfiction, max 800 words. Submit here.
Reviews, interviews, craft articles, and writing life articles by invitation.
What are we looking for in submissions?
True tales from your life. Honesty that possesses both the situation AND the story. Intensely personal experiences that reflect universal truths about what it means to be human. Firsthand accounts from the full spectrum of humanity – folx from the LGBTQIA+ community, Black writers, Indigenous writers, and writers of Color, differently abled writers, writers of all genders, backgrounds, experiences, lifestyles, and identities.
What we publish elsewhere:
- Memoirs, Essay Collections, Craft Books: View our Books by Hippocampus manuscript submission guidelines.
- Anthologies: Open anthology calls are also listed at our Books by Hippocampus submissions page.
Dates & Deadlines
- We're open for magazine submissions March through December; we close for submissions during January and February.
- We're open to book queries through Aug. 1 through Dec. 15.
Submitters: Please include your original title (in case you changed that) and date of your first submission in your cover letter; this will help us keep track of its progress.
Note: Submitting a revision does not guarantee acceptance; it is vetted just the same.
If you use this category and were not invited to re-submit, your submission will be declined.